[Jakarta] Fried Rice with a Korean Twist

1:04 PM

There is something special about Korean food. From my experience, Korean food has a clean and fresh aftertaste in the palate. The seasoning they are using is not as much and strong as Indonesian food, but somehow it still taste amazing. Even though it wasn’t as addictive as Indonesian food, Korean food has successfully make me wanting more.


A couple of weeks ago, I had a meeting in Gandaria City and decided to eat first before the meeting. I passed this restaurant named Kyochon with a modern and minimalist ambiance inside. Star struck by the ambiance, I decided to have lunch there.

I ordered a plate of Galbi Chicken Steak with Kimchi Fried Rice for my lunch that day. From what I read on the menu book, it was a Korean style fried rice with kimchi and some grilled galbi chicken. They also include a fried egg and a handful of fresh salad. For those who doesn’t familiar with the term of Galbi, it is a Korean spicy stir fried chicken. Generally made by stir frying marinated chicken in gochujang (Korean chili paste) in a hot plate. They usually add cabbage, sweet potato, scallions and other stuff along.


I thought the kimchi flavor on this fried rice was just using some sort of seasoning. Turns out they also stir the kimchi in. So you’ll find a piece of radish, cabbage and cucumber inside. The taste of the fried rice was quite nice. It was a bit spicy and has a hint of sourness. However, I feel like it still need a little bit of salt and pepper to make the fried rice even better. And also I kinda hate how the rice was too soft. It makes you feel full after just a couple of spoon.

As for the galbi chicken, it tender and very juicy! The chicken cut was a bit thick, I was worried it didn’t cooked through but it was. The skin was sticky and rich in flavor. I think they spread the marinating sauce on top of the chicken while grilling it. There is a tiny charred mark on the chicken skin. It taste bitter, but I don’t mind! I really like the galbi chicken, I even eat the whole galbi and left out the fried rice.


Overall my lunch that day was considered great. Not to mention the staffs were very friendly and helpful to me. They know the recommended menu and keep checking back if I need anything else. Even though the meals wasn’t something over the top, I really considering to come back here since they have plenty of food choices that seems really good. So anyone care to join me for the next round?

***

Kyochon
Gandaria City Mall
Jl. Sultan Iskandar Muda
Gandaria, Jakarta Selatan
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
(+6221) 2923 6448

Opening hours: 10 AM – 10 PM

Food: 3/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 3/5

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe