[Labuan Bajo] Travel Diary

1:45 PM

Even after a year after the trip, I still got so many questions about my trip to Labuan Bajo. Some of the questions were about the itinerary, the boat, the crew, the trip and so on. So after a very hard memory recall (since I am that forgetful), finally this post is done! Please beware that this will be a super long (but full of tempting pictures) posts. Hopefully this will persuade you guys enough to go to Labuan Bajo soon!


Day 1 – 10th of August 2018
I flew from Soekarno Hatta Airport around 10 AM in the morning with Batik Air which flew directly to Labuan Bajo Airport. The total trip was about 3 hours as I arrived around 2PM (please note that there is a time difference between Jakarta and Labuan Bajo). We were picked up by our tour guide and he took us to the hotel, where we are going to stay the night before our life on board begin.


Spent the rest of the afternoon by chilling by the pool with my cousins. Get some dinner at the hotel and then went straight to bed. Well, I honestly was super excited about the whole thing that I can’t even sleep well through the night. Thank God, I didn’t overslept!

Day 2 – 11th of August 2018
Our tour guide pick us up at the hotel around 9AM in the morning. He took us straight to the harbor where our boat have wait to sail the sea with us. Oh by the way, since we are going to spend 5 (five) days at the boat, made a brief stop at a local supermarket to buy some drinks and snacks. Well they provide us with food, but I still want my own snacks, LOL.


Back to the boat, I was in shock when I first saw the boat. It was a 2 (two) story (or deck? Idk) boat with 3 bedroom, 4 bathroom, 1 dining room, 1 kitchen, 1 captain’s room (connected with crew’s bedroom) and this is the best part, 2 lounge deck! Amazing isn’t it? They also have a smaller boat pulled along for us to go from the boat to the island’s shore.



While my family and I are admiring the boat, the captain sail to Pulau Kelor, our first destination. It was a quite small island with a huge rock for trekking. I had a hard time getting my way to the top, however the view up there was very worth it. After that, we went to Pulau Rinca for our first Komodo dragon encounter.



And right before sunset, we went to Pulau Kalong, to see the bat get out of their lair. The view of bats getting out their lair against orange skyline was something magical. It was really really breath taking.


Island list: Pulau Kelor, Pulau Rinca, Pulau Kalong
Meals provided: Welcome drink and snacks, lunch, afternoon snacks and dinner

Day 3 – 12th of August 2018
On the third day, as we enjoy our breakfast served by the crew, the captain took us to Pulau Padar for another trekking. It was a very long, exhausting trekking for me but GOSH the view was so amazing! I even cried a little when I was on top.


Next, we went to Pulau Komodo, the biggest island with the supposedly most Komodo in Flores. Since it was not mating season, most of the Komodo dragon hide all the way into the jungle. Well it is not actually jungle, it was their main habitat. Something similar like a jungle but a dry jungle. Do you know what I mean? Definitely no, LOL. Anyway, kinda sucks we didn’t see a lot of Komodo dragon, but we are very pleased to learn about Komodo in their natural habitat from the local ranger.



After that, we went to the highly anticipated Pink Beach. Which somehow doesn't look pink at all in this picture.


Island list: Pulau Padar, Pulau Komodo, Pink Beach Island
Meals provided: Breakfast, snacks, lunch, snacks and dinner

Day 4 – 13th of August 2018
The next day, we went to Gili Lawa Island for a morning stroll at the beach with wild deers. I was a bit afraid of them since their horn was very intimidating to me. But somehow they are very gentle and didn’t even bother us walking around them. We were meant to do a little trekking to the top of Gili Lawa that day. However since a couple of weeks ago, there are some incidents that burn the Gili Lawa, we are not allowed to climb to the top.


After that, we went to the Sembilan Island and Sebayur Island for snorkeling. I really can’t get enough of snorkeling when I was in Labuan Bajo. The underwater view was drop dead gorgeous! Sadly I didn’t take a picture of it though.


Island list: Gili Lawa, Sembilan Island, Sebayur Island
Meals provided: Breakfast, snacks, lunch, snacks and dinner

Day 5 – 14th of August 2018
Early morning, some of my family went trekking to the top of Kanawa Island. I didn’t go along with them, because I need a quiet and relax morning (read: lazy). After that we went snorkeling at the Bidadari Island. Spend the rest of the afternoon at Sabolo Island, where along the shore there were a cute little beach hut that you can rent to relax or even sleep.



Island list: Pulau Kanawa, Pulau Bidadari, Pulau Sabolo
Meals provided: Breakfast, snacks, lunch, snacks and dinner

Day 6 – 15th of August 2018
Went to our last island hopping stop, Burung Island. You can climb up and do a light trekking all the way to the top of this little island. After that, we went to our last island to do another snorkeling before we say goodbye. Captain took us back to the harbor and then they took us back to our hotel. Where we stay for another night before our flight the next day.

Island list: Pulau Burung
Meals provided: Breakfast, snacks, lunch

***

Overall, I am really satisfied with my trip to Labuan Bajo. All of the crew was nice and very helpful. I remember they patiently wait for us who really need a lot of time to get to the top of the island while trekking. Also they kinda fun to hang out with in the evening where there are nothing to do on board. I still remember how my cousins put some music on blast and dance with them all night. LOL!


As for the moneywise, if I’m not mistaken, my family paid around IDR 30.000.000 for 6 persons this life on board tour. All expenses paid already include:
  • Full AC two deck boat, crew (4) and guide (1)
  • Pick up and drop off service from/to the airport and hotel
  • Pick up and drop off service from/to the hotel and marina
  • A piece of Kain Tenun Sumba for each passengers
  • Three time meals, snacks and bottled water during the trip
  • Snorkel gears
  • Tax
For every experience that I had and also considering how gorgeous the boat was, I think it was worth every penny. Please note that my family paid this trip early in 2018. So probably there will be a lot of changes in terms of price of the tours.


So that’s conclude my trip to Labuan Bajo last year. I hope this will encourage you to travel more, especially around Indonesia.

***

Top tips for Labuan Bajo Life on Board Tour:
  1. Wear a high SPF sunscreen/sunblock. While I was there, the sun always feel very intense. I remember on the 3rd day, my skin already getting darker and my Caucasian uncle got a pretty bad sunburn. Reapply them every hour so your trip won’t be bothered by a sore skin.
  2. Bring something for entertaining yourself. At some point of the trip, our phones get no signal at all. It is not a big deal when you lost the signal in the daylight. But in the evening, you could get very bored. I suggest you to bring some books or even some board games to play with your friends and family.
  3. Wear a diving boot. If you have an extra cash, I really recommend you about this one. Since you’re going to spend most of your time playing in the beach and getting in and out of water constantly, wearing these boots will make your life easier. I wear flip flops the other day, but my feet keep sinking into the sand and the sides of my feet get scratched by some pointy rocks.
  4. Prepare yourself physically (and mentally). During the trip there will be a lot of hiking and swimming in the ocean. It will look hard, it will looks like you cannot do it, but trust me you can do it. The hiking was fine even though some parts of the hill was hard to climb. Swimming can be hard since you will be swimming on the ocean against the strong current. I really recommend everyone who want to come here to do a light jogging daily before your travel time. Just to prepare yourself from all the hiking and swimming.

***

PT. FLORES KOMODO TOURS
Emanuel House, 2nd floor
Nai Roa Street, Gg Lerikson
Maumere, Flores
East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe