[Malang] Food Diary Part Two

5:50 PM


So here is another part of my culinary journey in Malang. I was so excited writing about it that I end up write too much on the first post. Thus I decided to split it into two posts. Well, who could’ve thought a little town like Malang could be filled with a tons of amazing food. And to be honest, this second post is filled with my most favorite food in Malang.

Disclaimer: the numbering on the list doesn’t mean it is the best or whatsoever.
It is just the number of what I had first to my very last meal in Malang.

1. Bakso Damas


Bakso Damas is a strong contender in Bakso Malang arena. They considered as one of the best place to get Bakso Malang in town. In here, you can see your food choice, choose and pay for what you pick. Another unique food experience, and very cheap! I ordered two bowls of bakso and it only cost me around IDR 22.000.


In terms of the soup flavor, I personally prefer this one than Bakso Presiden. I can really taste the beef meat in the meatballs rather than the one I had before. The soup was more fragrant and tastier too. However the sides was not so good. I tried the fried meatballs and it was just so mediocre. The fried dumpling and lumpia was quite nice actually. Praised them for having a restaurant not close to the train railway.


Bakso Damas
Jl. Soekarno Hatta No 70
Lowokwaru, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
(0341) 410-615

Opening hours: 10.00 AM – 10.00 PM

Food: 4,5/5
Ambiance: 3/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 3/5

2. Lumpia Tugu


Our guide personally recommend this to us. You haven’t come to Malang, unless you’ve tried the Lumpia Tugu, he said. I was excited to try this one because I’m a sucker for fried food. Everything that cooked deep fried somehow always amazing, including this one.



We bought the Lumpia, Martabak Telur and Risol Ragut (told ya, I’m a sucker for a fried food). I was madly in love with the Risol Ragut. The filling was generous and delicious. Coated with a perfect crispy skin, it will make you wanting more and more. Same goes with the Martabak Telur. The only disappointment is that the Martabak Telur a little bit oily for me. As for the Lumpia, I’m not a big fan of this one since it was filled with rebung (bamboo shoots) and I hate rebung.


For only IDR 5.000 each, I think this a very good deals. Considering that the size was bigger than the usual. Oh and why does it called Lumpia Tugu? Because it is located near the Tugu Malang.

Lumpia Tugu
Jl. Borobudur
Blimbing, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
(0341) 733-2340

Food: 3/5
Ambiance: 2/5
Price: 3/5
Service: 4/5

3. Bubur Ayam Endri


I am not a ‘bubur for breakfast’ person. So when our tour guide took us to this place, I wasn’t expect anything. The only thing I was worried about is the place will be filled with lots of people and I would not enjoy my visit there. I was told that citizen of Malang quite fond of this particular bubur because this is considered a healthy bubur due to it’s no preservative and natural ingredients. Turns out it was not as packed as I expected.


Their bubur nice but was not something over the top. It was a little bit dry, they don’t use soup/beef stock like the usual bubur in Jakarta. However the amount of the toppings was massive. They gave us a generous portion of bubur toppings, even I was sure I was eating topping with bubur not the other way round. A bowl of Bubur Ayam is sold at IDR 18.000.


Bubur Ayam Endri
Jl. Danau Kerinci Blok F No 15
Kedungkandang, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
0813-3341-0800

Opening hours: 5.00 AM – 12 PM

Food: 4/5
Ambiance: 3/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 3/5

4. Bebek Sinjay Madura


The first thing that came in my mind, when I ate the duck was “I HAVE FOUND HEAVEN ON EARTH”. Yeah. That’s how good it was. The duck was crispy and fragrant, the meat was juicy and very delicious. Not to mention the sambal was very very very (I warn you) spicy and addictive. The portion of the rice given very generous. They also put a bit of serundeng on top of the rice, which made it taste even better.


I can’t really describe how it taste and not drooling over all of my laptop. So I think I’m just gonna stop here. However, I really recommend you to eat this when you happen to be in Malang. Like, you MUST to try this Bebek Sinjay and feel all of its glory.


Bebek Sinjay Madura (cabang Malang)
Jl. Perusahaan No 16
Singosari, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
0822-2830-0100

Opening hours: 8.00 AM – 8.00 PM (usually sold out before the closing time)

Food: 10/5 (I’m being hyperbolic, but it was THAT GOOD!)
Ambiance: 3/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 3,5/5

5. Toko Oen


The glorious and famous Toko Oen. Toko Oen is famous of it’s homemade ice cream. The restaurant itself wasn’t as big as it looks from the outside. I love how they keep the building as it is. Old, a little bit creepy, but somehow feels like home.


We ordered the three flavored ice cream (vanilla, chocolate and strawberry). I hate how small the portion was. As in for the taste, it was taste quite nice. The ice cream has the perfect amount of sweetness. The vanilla and strawberry flavor wasn’t as strong as the usual factory ice cream, but the chocolate was strong and super good. However the ice cream still feel rough, not as smooth as the usual ice cream in the market. I think that is why Toko Oen’s ice cream very special and still got a place in their customer’s heart.


Toko Oen
Jl. Jenderal Basuki Rahmat No 5
Klojen, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
(0341) 364-052

Opening hours: 8.00 AM – 9.30 PM

Food: 4/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Price: 3/5
Service: 4/5

6. Pia Cap Mangkok


Another Malang’s signature souvenir. It was similar to other pia that sold in the market. However the filling on this one was very rich, dense but somehow light in the same time. I tried both the chocolate and kacang hijau, and it was so addictive!


The chocolate flavor was chewy and has the perfect sweetness to it. I must say that this is the best chocolate pia I ever tasted in my life. While the kacang hijau flavor taste mediocre, nothing special about it but it was still nice. They sold the pia in various packaging size and prize. I recommend you to buy the biggest pack because believe me when I said one is not enough for this Pia Cap Mangkok.


Pia Cap Mangkok
Jl. Semeru No 25
Klojen, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
(0341) 335-900

Opening hours: 8.00 AM – 8.00 PM

Food: 4/5
Ambiance:
Price: 3/5
Service: 3/5

***

So that was everything that I had in Malang. Did I already tried and taste the best of Malang? Or did I missed something even bigger? Let me know by leaving comments down below!


Missed the first post? Don’t worry, just click here to read it!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe