[Malang] Food Diary Part One

1:19 PM

I know it is almost a year after my Malang Trip with my friends, but I still feel like I need to share it with you guys.


I was kinda doubting Malang on their food selection. All I heard from Malang was their glorious Bakso Malang and that is all. So when my friends and I decided to go to Malang, I was worried I couldn’t satisfy my hungry tummy there. Turns out I was wrong.

I found and tried tons of good food there. Even my 4 days trip doesn’t cover up all of the good food that our tour guide recommended to us. He convince us to come again someday to try all of the good food that Malang offer. And now I would gladly share what I had on that trip. Hopefully when you decide to come to Malang, this short list will help you find the best food from Malang. By the way, I had to split it into two posts since I can’t hold myself to stop sharing with you.

Disclaimer: the numbering on the list doesn’t mean it is the best or whatsoever.
It is just the number of what I had first to my very last meal in Malang.

1. Bakso Presiden



If Bakso Malang is the signature dish from this town, then Bakso Presiden might be the most famous restaurant that offer the best Bakso Malang in town. If you don’t know what Bakso Malang is, please google it or just kill yourself because you are missing the amazing kind of bakso. It is pretty much the same with the usual bakso, but Bakso Malang has some sides to add to your bakso such as fried tofu, fried dumpling, etc.



Other than the usual Bakso Malang menu, they also have Bakso Bakar and I’m lovin’ this one. Just and ordinary grilled bakso? To me it wasn’t. It was grilled longer than it should so it has this dark bitter charcoal mark (which somehow make it taste even better) and taste a bit sweet. Maybe it was because of the sweet soy sauce as their marinate sauce.


What else makes Bakso Presiden famous? Hmm… Let me see. I think maybe because it is located next to a train railway. So when a train passed by, you’ll get that shaky earth quake feeling.


Bakso Presiden
Jl. Batanghari No 5
Klojen, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
(0341) 496-746

Opening hours: 8.00 AM – 9.30 PM

Food: 4/5
Ambiance: 3/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 3/5

2. Koperasi Susu SAE
I think we were on our way to the hotel when our tour guide pull the car over here. I was confused because from the outside it doesn’t look like a restaurant or even a place to eat. It look more like an office or a city hall.


We stop here for a quick refreshments. We ordered a few cup of hot chocolate, milk-ginger drink, grilled bread and also grilled banana. The food wasn’t something over the top but quite nice. The food wasn’t as hot and grilled as I expected it to be, but still good enough for me. As for the drink, it was a great choice after a cold afternoon at the top of the mountain.

Koperasi Susu SAE
Jl. Brigjend Abd Manan Wijaya
Pujon, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
(0341) 524-204

Food: 3/5
Ambiance: 3/5
Price: 3/5
Service: 3/5

3. Pos Ketan Legenda 1967


Pos Ketan Legenda 1967 is one of the top must try food in Malang. I am sure it was not because of the place. It was very tiny and very full of people. It took more than 1 hour of waiting if you want to sit in the restaurant (I don’t even think restaurant suits that tiny place). My friends and I decided just to take away the food and eat it at our hotel.


We ordered the sweet one, chocolate and milk I guess (I kinda forgot the exact name of the menu). The ketan was quite nice but too dense and too chewy/sticky for my liking but my friends was just fine with it. The topping given was quite generous. To be honest, it was not something over the top. After looking online about this place, I read that the savory one is their most recommended. Too bad I didn’t order it that time. Well, this is just an excuse for me to come back again someday.


Pos Ketan Legenda 1967
Jl. Kartini No 6
Batu, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia

Opening hours: 4.30 PM – 3.00 AM

Food: 3/5
Ambiance: 2/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 3/5

4. Kedai Assalamu’alaikum


Located right across Universitas Muhamadiyah Malang, Kedai Assalamu’alaikum become a famous quick stop over for many students. Not only they serve a good array of nice food, it is also sold in a very cheap price. Not to mention the clean and comfortable ambiance inside. I feel like I want to stay in there and eat forever.


I would recommend you to try their signature Ayam Kremes. I love how the kremes wrapped the chicken and make it like a huge egg. I also love the sambal that comes with it, as it has the perfect amount of spiciness. The other dishes that we ordered that day was also nice. I forgot each of the menu that we ordered, but I still remember my lunch that day was considered amazing.




Kedai Assalamu’alaikum
Jl. Raya Tlogomas No 10
Lowokwaru, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia

Opening hours: 8.00 AM – 9.30 PM

Food: 4/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 3,5/5

5. Tahu Campur Pak Iwan Jagalan
I never heard a dish called Tahu Campur before, so I was kinda excited to try this one. Tahu Campur Pak Iwan is considered a street food even it has its own tiny place. Although the place was not comfortable at all to sit and chat all night with your friends, I would highly recommended this place.


As far as I remember, the dish consist of fried tofu, vermicelli noodle, lontong, braised beef, tetelan (I don’t know how to describe in English lol), chicken liver, beansprout and lettuce. Ordinary? Maybe. But the soup was totally different than any other dish that I have tried in my life.


The soup is a clear beef soup but what makes it special is that they used petis in it. Petis is one of Javanese signature spice paste. It is made from a mix of shrimp and fish (I think so). I was so in love with the soup, even I was trying to drink the soup straight from the plate. Sold at only IDR 12.000 per portion, no wonder they already sold out around 8 PM most of the times.

Tahu Campur Pak Iwan Jagalan
Jl. Kapt. P. Tendean 1D No 108
Klojen, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia

Opening hours: 4.00 PM – Sold Out (Usually around 8 or 9 PM)

Food: 4,5/5
Ambiance: 3/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 3/5

6. Malang Strudel
To be fair, Malang Strudel is not a restaurant or a food center. It was a food that became a signature souvenir from Malang. You all know what strudel is, but why Malang make it their signature souvenir? That is because Malang is famous with their apples. Even they have apple picking as one of their top attraction when it is apple season. So I think it is safe to say that the apple they used is probably the best apple in town.


They have lots of filling choices, from the traditional apple to the salty cheese and unique taro flavor. The strudel filling was dense, full of apple bits and rich in flavor. However I still find their signature Apple Strudel is lack of surprise factor. I was kinda hoping it has more cinnamon flavor to make it more strudel-y (I don’t think that is a word). But still it was a decent food and souvenir for your family and friends back home.

Malang Strudel
Jl. Soekarno Hatta
Lowokwaru, Kota Malang
Jawa Timur, Indonesia
0852-3126-9392

Opening hours: 8.00 AM – 10.00 PM

Food: 3/5
Price: 3/5
Service: 3/5

***

This is just a part of my food adventure in Malang. The rest of the list is in the next post. Subscribe to my blog if you want to be the first to read the rest of the list :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe