[Japan] Crazily Good Gyukatsu

9:37 AM


One of the main reason for me to come to Japan was their food scene. I heard so many good things about their ever growing food scene, and one of it is the famous Gyukatsu Motomura. I’ve been eyeing for Gyukatsu Motomura ever since the first time I saw some food blogger post their scrumptious looking beef slices on instagram. So when I finally came to Japan, this place is definitely on the top of my must try list.


Gyukatsu is a deep fried beef cutlet that has this beautiful golden coating on the outside and gorgeous pink rare beef on the inside. They sell the gyukatsu in various set meal, the one that we order was sold around 1800 yen per portion with 200 gram of beef cutlet. The set meal comes with a handful slices of cabbage, potato salad, pickles, barley rice, miso soup and grated yam. Even though the beef slices served rare, they are good to eat. However the restaurant provide a small grill for each person and then you can grill it further to your preferred doneness.


The beef was tender, really juicy and already has this subtle taste. The katsu crumb coating also nicely cooked and added this slight crispy texture to the beef that made my meal more enjoyable. There are several condiments that go great with your gyukatsu such as soy sauce, horseradish-onion sauce, worchestershire sauce and even the simplest rock salt. I personally love their soy sauce, I quickly dip the beef cutlet to the soy sauce before I grill it for a couple of seconds on each sides.


Gyukatsu Motomura is arguably the most popular restaurant in Tokyo for gyukatsu at the moment. Because of its popularity, the queue is mostly crazy. Other than the hype of this food is still high, the restaurant itself is also very small. One quick tip from me, I recommend you to come past the lunch time, around 2PM, like we did to avoid the long queue. My friends and I arrived around 2PM in the afternoon, and we waited just about 15 minutes to get inside. Also, don’t over grill your beef cutlets otherwise the beef would be very dry and tough to eat.


***

Gyukatsu Motomura
3-32-2 Shinjuku, B1F
Shinjuku 160-0022
Tokyo Prefecture
Phone : +81 333 540 171

Opening hours: 11AM – 10PM

Food: 5/5
Ambiance: 3.5/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 4/5

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe