[Japan] The Famous Cronut

1:46 PM


As most of you guys know, I’m such a big fan of sweet things and Dominique Ansel Bakery (DAB) is famous by their delicious sweets. That is why visiting this bakery is definitely on top of my must try list when I was in Japan. Dominique Ansel is a genius pastry chef behind the insanely good DAB. He is famously known by his international hit creation cronut, which is a combination of croissant and doughnut. Ever since the cronut fever hit everywhere in this world back in 2015, Dominique Ansel has open a few more store around the globe so everyone can taste his delicious creation.





I went to their Omotesando’s store, which located just a few minutes walk from the Omotesando Station. We arrived early as some review said that the queue line for the cronut is quite crazy. Some people even already queuing before the shop open. Luckily, when I arrived there were no line at all. Probably it was because raining that morning. The store open at 10 AM sharp. When I get in there, I couldn’t contain my happy face. All of the cakes and pastries are looking so pretty and delicious and I want every single thing on the display.




They offer lots of cakes and pastries for me to choose. But since my friends and I still have another places to visit and foods to try, we decided just to order 4 (four) of their signature creation. The first one was their Froze S’more that cost around 770 yen.



The Frozen S’more is made with Tahitian vanilla ice cream covered with chocolate feuilletine flakes which later enrobed in a 100% honey marshmallow. Then the whole thing put on a smoked wooden branch and torched on each side. The vanilla taste in the ice cream was quite strong but it made me love the ice cream even more. The flakes add texture to the s’mores which made it more enjoyable to munch. While the marshmallow has this perfect chewiness even though it was too sweet for me.



 We also ordered the cute Cookie Shot (250 yen). It was a soft, moist and warm chocolate chip cookies in the shape of a shot glass and served with a cold milk. I like the chocolate chip cookie by itself. It was soft, chewy and rich in chocolate taste which I really fond of. However the cookie was a bit too dense and it made me feel too full after a few bites of the cookies. And also it was stated that the milk was infused with vanilla but I can’t really taste or smell the vanilla out of it.



The DKA (Dominique’s Kouign Amann) is a caramelized version of croissant with a crispy and flaky sugary crust with a tender and buttery interior. This was my favorite thing that day! I love how the buttery flavor of the pastry melt in your mouth. On the inside you can see this beautiful pastry very was soft and fluffy. The outside parts was very crispy and has this perfect sweet sugary glazed. Combined everything made a perfect harmony, like an orchestra in your mouth. Gosh! I want some more right now! Each of the DKA cost around 550 yen.


And last but definitely not least, the cronut. Many described cronut as a hybrid of croissant and doughnut. Sound simple yet so complicated. Stated on their official website, this most virally talked sweets in history took 2 months and more than 10 recipes to perfection. Made with a laminated dough which has been likened to a croissant then fried in a grapeseed oil at a specific temperature and then specially flavored in 3 (three) ways; rolled in sugar, filled with cream and topped with glaze. All the cronut pastries are made fresh daily and it took 3 (three) days to complete the entire process.


DAB offers different flavor of cronut every month and as per today they never made the same flavor twice in every stores. That day I got the Fig & Raspberry Cronut (600 yen). It was a big piece of cronut filled with fig jam, raspberry ganache and coated with lime zest sugar. Honestly I’m in love with this one. I love how crispy and buttery the cronut was. It has this beautiful hundreds layers of pastry inside that was so soft and flaky. The combination of sweet fig and sour raspberry was perfect without overpowering each other. The lime zest sugar somehow added a slight freshness to the desserts. Oh I’d definitely will be back for more!

***

Dominique Ansel Bakery
5 Chome-7-14 Jingumae
Shibuya 150-0001
Tokyo, Japan
Phone: +81 334 861 329

Opening hours: 10AM – 7PM

Food: 5/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 4/5

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe