[Jakarta] A Taste of Peranakan - PERMANENTLY CLOSED

5:48 PM

So I was going to have a meeting for my clothing line @hello.lole at Gandaria City. I was strolling around, deciding where to have the meeting and I bumped into this place. A modern looking café called OWL Café, located at the Upper Ground Floor (near the Nanny’s Pavilion restaurant). I immediately fall in love with the colonial American style interior. And so, I decided to have the meeting there.

The OWL Café is divided into two area, smoking and non-smoking. However the smoking area is very limited to about 5 tables or so. Other than the usual chair, the also have some sofa seating and mini booth (for 4 people). I didn’t take any pictures of the interior because I was busy with the meeting. Well, maybe next time. Moving on to the food, they offered the peranakan cuisine. I ordered the Spaghetti Laksa with Tiger Prawn (IDR 55K) and Lychee Ice Tea (IDR 30K), while my friend ordered the Nasi Lemak (IDR 55K) and some water.



I personally think that the Laksa was nice but wasn’t something over the top. The soup was rich in flavor and very thick but somehow missing something. I don’t know what it is, but the dish definitely need something. Meanwhile the tiger prawn is perfectly cooked. The only thing I hate is the prawn still has the skin on, so I have to use my hand to open it and it was difficult.



The Lychee Tea was also quite nice. It has a hint Lychee and also has a few slices of Lychee inside. However for a IDR 30K per glass, I think it is a bit expensive since usually Lychee Tea only cost you about IDR 20-25 K.


As for the Nasi Lemak, I didn’t try all of it but the chicken on the sides was quite nice. It was tender, juicy and full of santan flavor. The sambal given was also nice and spicy (considering how expensive the chili at the market right now). However, again, it wasn’t something over the top.



I’m not sure whether it was the food or it was just my bad day. My dining experiences in OWL Café was not good at all. Is anybody here experince the same thing?

***

OWL Café
Gandaria City
Jl. Sultan Iskandar Muda
Gandaria, Jakarta Selatan
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
(+62) 21 292 3636 4

Opening hours: 10 AM – 10 PM

Food: 2,5/5
Ambiance: 3,5/5
Price: 3/5
Service: 3/5

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe